Here is a fun an easy Apron idea. One of the very first projects I wanted to do because it meant sewing in all straight lines. I somehow managed to convince my husband to have an Apron, just because I wanted to make one. At that time BBC was running the Sherlock series and he being a fan of it, wanted something on those lines. He wanted Sherlock’s address of Baker street on the Apron as it worked out pretty well. You see baker and baking 😉
So, I found this black and white cotton fabric as seen above at Joann’s with pattern of a building in dark with lighted windows and silhouettes of people, girl, boy standing by the window, cup of coffee or cat/dog sitting by the window. I thought it was quite funny and added to the sense of mystery. Check out how it resembles the fictional image of Sherlock holmes building and his flat (apartment)!
I used that fabric as bottom of the Apron, since I wanted a plain top. I used a contrasting red fabric for top so that the text “221B Baker street” was more visible.
For measurements, Top rectangle length is from where your tshirt-neck usually starts to your belly button and
bottom length is from belly button to however long you want the apron to be. Leaving 1/2 inch seem on all sides to sew in.
I also used a black cotton lining to give the Apron some stiffness, since the apron fabric by itself was very soft. (You could also use a waterproof lining)
First step, cut the 2 halves, the top and bottom parts of the apron and the lining. Sew each lining to the wrong side of each part of fabric taking in the seams. Mark the center of top and center of bottom parts and align those lines. Pin them in place. Again pinning is pretty important here. Now sew the top to the bottom part. Your apron is ready. Take the left over material and make Apron ties out of it. Attach them to the Apron.
For the 221B Baker street applique, I used felt to cut out the alphabets and sew them on apron. Recently I learnt about the great fusible interfacing and the fusible bond to give weight to appliques and then stick it on the fabric. Those things are so useful and aptly made for applique work 🙂 Also, I got a stencil and am planning to re-work the appliques letters using the stencil. I added a baker’s cap and a few knick-kanks from hobby lobby as seen in picture. Another idea could be to add the detective silhouette instead of the text.
Hope you will try this project at home. Its very easy to hand-sew too, just requires a little patience to get through the long lengths of the fabric. Instead of hand sewing, you can also use fusible bond to take in the seams.
PS: Richa, my dear friend and co-blogger of this blog is in India on vacation with her husband and son. They are celebrating their son Shlok’s first birthday there this June. Lets wish our sweetheart Shlok a very HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY!! He sure is growing up fast!…Pssst! Richa has promised to get lovely pictures of Indian fabric and fabric market from there.
Till next time…happy sewing!
image courtesy: honeynorhoneybee.blogspot.com, facebook.com